Welcome To Our Blog About Adoption From India!

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Indian FOOD..made from the best stuff on earth! :)

My mom in law is in town from Illinois and we thought we'd surprise her with a little "taste of the world" via the local Indian food restaurant take out.  She has never tried it before so we ordered a few of my husband and my favorites in the mild category (malai kofta, chicken tikka masala, samosas and extra naan) and promise her it's been "americanized" (a.k.a. toned down spice-wise to be more pleasing to her delicate palet..she's not big on spicy! :) Apparently the family that owned the restaurant must have known she was in town and raised the spice level about 10,000,000 volts as it was EXTREMELY spicy and in my opionion FANTASTIC! But not so good on getting someone who doesn't enjoy spicy foods to see how amazing Indian food is! :( HUGE FAILURE ON THE BRINGING CULTURE TO SMALL TOWN ILLINOIS SCALE!  However, I was thoroughly impressed when Nia (my 4 1/2 year old) ate every single bite (in between gulps of milk of course) and declared "I REALLY love this food!" That's our girl!

It was good talking with my mother in law tonight about adoption and describing the importance of using correction terminology when it comes to talking about our newest daughter as part of our family (birth mom: CORRECT vs. real mom: INCORRECT, biological kids: CORRECT vs. own kids: INCORRECT.)   She was not aware there were certain phrases that would be more acceptable to an adopted family than others and it was great to be able to sit down with her and talk openly about how to make our adjustment period easier when we get home from bringing our daughter from India.  Mostly, I wanted to make sure if she had any questions about adoption that she got a chance to have a voice tonight and ask us anything that was on her mind. It was a positive conversation overall and a great chance to get to describe what the next year or so will be like for all of us.  I am thankful tonight for a family that is excited along with us and supportive.  

4 comments:

  1. I am now following your journey!:) I am so excited for you and can't wait to see your daughter's picture for the first time. We also spiced up the wait with Indian food or either eating out Indian. We bought something for Maiya every step that we got closer to her! So much fun. Have fun!! Gidget

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have a special relationship to be able to have frank and loving discussions. The hardest thing for both our moms was not being able to do lots of holding, cuddling, feeding, etc. when Anya Rashi first came home. They were very understanding and respectful, but it was just so hard not to scoop up their newest grandbaby!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Your favorites are both Aaron and I's favorites!! Just reading it, made me want some Malai Kofta so bad!! I'm with you - the spicier the better, mmm...mmm! May have to get some tomorrow night when your Mom comes in to visit us (or should I say babysit, ha!)

    Glad you were able to talk with your MIL, sounds like it was an enjoyable time :-). Have a wonderful start to this week! Luv u.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I am craving Indian food! It all sounds delicious. What a nice way to ease your extended family into the world that you are now immersed in. I'm sure it made her feel included in your journey.

    Julie R

    ReplyDelete