Welcome To Our Blog About Adoption From India!

Thursday, September 16, 2010

This and That

A fellow adoptive mom passed this info to me and so I thought in turn I'd pass it along to anyone that has adopted recently (or thinking ahead for when they do complete the adoption) and wishing they had professional pictures to capture the moment but not wanting to add another financial straw to the camel's back. Really neat that you can get pro-bono photography from some of your areas best photographers...at least most of the ones I saw for my area were good...and includes a free sitting fee and proofs.  As long as you do it in the year after you adopt, you should have no problems.  So check it out! Yay! for kind hearted business professionals! Makes me think of an idea for my own business...

http://www.celebratingadoption.org


Then for those of you in the NW Arkansas area who are past the home study process and looking for grants available (or for those that are just interested in a very moving story of the couple who set this foundation up based on their own adoption) then check out The Titus Task Foundation. If you are interested in helping out the foundation to raise money so they can keep the grant alive AND wanting to race in their fundraiser, there is one on Oct 16th out of Siloam Springs....it would HAVE to be the day after I am having hernia surgery naturally, but next year the good ol' Crooks family is there!

http://www.thetitustask.com/2010-titus-task-race-day---get-registered.html


On a funny side note, an awesome graphic designer who does my business logo and cards,  put together and donated these business cards that say our blog site address (bandofcrooks.blogspot.com) on one side and "Donate To Bring Our Baby Home" on the other. I love them and they are great for handing to people interested in following along with our adoption story as well as raising awareness for adoption in general. Friends have left them at schools, dr. offices, and hair salons as well as restaurants and just kept them for themselves. It was only recently that I realized that most of the people that pick up a card do not have any idea of who we are nor does it explain on the cards that "Crooks" is our last name...which means these random folks have no idea why our blog site is humorously titled "bandofcrooks" nor why they are prodded to "donate to our adoption" via these cards we hand out...they are instead left thinking A) "is this some kind of joke?" or B), "why would I donate to a bunch of crooks that will take our money and run!" Hahahahaha! Irony is hilarious isn't it! :)  We have had a really good laugh at imagining what people must initially be thinking...on the flip side, it has to get some people REALLY curious as to what is going on and maybe they come and take a look for themselves which is exactly the point in the first place.

4 comments:

  1. Ha! It must be inconvenient sometimes to have a last name that's also a word! You'll have to tell us if any anonymous strangers support you through the kind donation of those cards -- what a sweet friend!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely an interesting life! :) My maiden name was also a noun and the puns just keep on coming! I will keep you posted on how the cards turn out, I do like the idea of it so we shall see...

    ReplyDelete
  3. JUst found your blog through another adoption blog. I look forward to following your journey through the exciting times that lie ahead. I live in India, Kolkata so your story is really close to home for me. I hope that you find your baby soon, and that you get to see her face atlast. You must be waiting for that day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tina! just saw this! thank you for checking out my blog and for your kind words! I am so interested in how you like living in Kolkata. What busy lives we lead with children no matter where we end up living huh?! Good luck on your own journey!

    ReplyDelete